UNIVERSITY | YLIOPISTO’s manifesto
- University should be universal. Again.
- University doesn’t refer to anything but itself. It is a self-referential university. University is only interested in what is, almost never in what shall be, sometimes it is interested in what will be, and even more in what might have been. University is about university.
- University is neither physical nor virtual. It is a state of mind, embodied in a universal consciousness. The place where University takes place is the university. And University is everywhere.
- As a non-place at the same time concave and convex, University thus becomes not the place where we are, but the point where we put ourselves in position. And that non-place is always a crime scene, the breeding ground for the creation of ideology.
- University is a system. A hyper-surveilled one. We always see, and we are always seen. University is a prison without walls.
- University doesn’t want to describe the World. University IS the World. A laboratory to test Pop as the ultimate cultural appropriation.
- “Intensive” and “extensive” are doppelgängers. If we were talking about pop music, then University would be the extended version, never the radio edit.
- University is fictional. And real. Or it is fictional, because it is real. Or the other way around.
- University makes the “artistic practice” its research field, but always as a dilettante, loving and hating at the same time, facing the dominant culture, challenging perception and convention, demystifying authority. University doesn’t make art; instead, it looks at it.
- In University, there are no teachers or students. Everybody is a participant watcher (also known as nerd), observing University from the outside, despite being inside. Participant watchers motivated by the same obsession that drives a collector to action, the one doing everything to get the stamp missing in the collection (a stamp that probably doesn’t exist).
- University is unaccessible. Because everybody is already there.
- And by “there” we mean all possible places in all possible worlds, known and unknown. University is a MULTIVERSITY.
- University unfolds a diffuse identity, embracing a plurality of unpaired identities that join other unpaired identities to build together a universal, genderless community. Limitless, borderless, endless.
- University is a queer university.
- It is a proposal for a global queer citizenship.
- University is also viral: over-portable, over-shareable and over-spreadable. It’s an algorithm. Moreover, University is only possible in “theory”. That is, University is possible.
- University should be and has to be global, an overly interactive platform for the sharing of intangibles, that is, a “cloud university”.
- The outcomes it will produce are as much useful as far as they can be disseminated in some sort of augmented reality. A Pop University, or a university where Pop, in its more holistic assumption, is the only subject matter.
- University doesn’t have a beginning nor does it have an end. It is permanently present. It expands. Just like the universe, University is mathematically timeless. However, there are not unquestionable truths. University doesn’t seek the Truth, University creates the Truth.
- That is: University is the reflected image of a university, of itself, on a black mirror. But then again: University is not about, University is.
- University is a meta-university.
- University is not original. It always existed and it will always exist.
- Assigning meaning to the very first ideas, sketches, drafts, introductory information, and elements at stake, University will always be driven by the post-modernist question par excellence: what is left to say, when everything has already been said?
- University should be “universal”. Again.
Rogério Nuno Costa, Espoo, January 2018
(first draft: November 2016)